Found a super simple way to keep my Ubiquiti cloud controller accessible from anywhere by using DDclient, Google Domains, and a little configuration.
It’s fairly straight forward. From the Google Domains console, create a synthetic record for the subdomain of type “Dynamic DNS”.
Courtesy of Google
You read that correctly. 400GB Micro SD cards not only exist, but they are within consumers reach price-wise. It’s crazy to think how much data fits into something smaller than my thumbnail. I buy a ton of these things for all of my Raspberry Pi projects. I think the first one I picked up was 16 GB for at least $65. I don’t have a use for the 400 GB one (at least not with any of my current projects) but its good to hear the Moore’s law isn’t dead yet and that this will help drive down the costs of some of the more practical micro SD cards. Link to the product: https://amzn.to/2v5b6g1
I’ve been looking at various projects to do with my car. Somehow I landed on making my car both internet enabled and creating an interface to track my car’s location. I will likely add a web interface to some of my other projects to include this location data as well. (more…)
My home office used to be something out of a horror movie. Wires going everywhere, multiple keyboards, mice, etc. I was constantly swapping inputs on monitors and wasting time unplugging and plugging in cables trying to get computers to recognize displays had been added. It was a huge pain.
Over the last few weeks, I’ve made a few investments to remedy the situation. First was a cabinet with a drawer. The drawer fits a power strip, a handful of Raspberry Pis, and a 8 port gigabit switch. This alone took care of a ton of the wires and cables that were running around the desk. A few of the Pis also had USB peripherals for wireless keyboard and whatnot. I’ll be keeping an eye on the temperature in the drawer and may add a small fan out the back if needed, but for right now, this appears to be running without any issues. (more…)
I recently had the pleasure of working on a project where I needed to send (relatively) large amounts of data in a MSMQ message via NServiceBus. To give a bit of background, I have an endpoint that receives a reference to a transaction. I take that reference and pull roughly 2-7 mb of data all in XML enhance it and then I need to publish it to a handful of subscribers. On any given day, there are thousands if not tens of thousands of these messages being sent through this system, and speed/processing time is crucial. (more…)
Time seems to have gotten away from me these past few weeks. Between travel, work, and projects, I’ve had little time to document what I’ve been up to. But enough excuses, I hope to provide a bunch of smaller updates to my various projects and also introduce some demos for my some of my digital projects in the coming weeks. Most of my digital work has been in the area of emergency services support. So I will have to find some bogus data to pump through the system for the purposes of demonstrating what everything does.
Until then, you will just have to wait and wonder.
Photo and links coming soon.
Currently I have the following in my network Rack (9U):
24 port Patch Panel
Arris Cable Modem
Ubiquiti Cloud Key
Ubiquiti 24 Port Switch
Ubiquiti Security Gateway
I also have one UniFi AC Lite AP in the ceiling. I plan to replace it with either the UniFi AP HD or UniFi AP AC PRO, but I just haven’t found the need for it yet. The lite covers my whole house with the 2.4G radio and covers my room and most of the areas I work in with the 5G radio. There are a few dumb gigabit switches scattered around the house as needed… such as my drawer filled with Raspberry Pis that needs its own.
I’ll get a bit more in-depth about how my network is structure in the future. I’m always in the process of adding onto it and trying different things.
The first 90% of the work takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90% of the time.
I have a few PHP projects that I hope to document and get on here soon. Also have a bunch of hardware coming in from Amazon over the next few weeks that I need for a bunch of my home project. RTL-SDR and a few more Raspberry Pis and whatnot. I’ll probably end up buying another SDR kit today before the first one even arrives since I have so many projects that will be using this hardware. One of the projects is to hopefully pick up P25, decode it, and play it through some speakers for a super cheap digital scanner replacement. If this projects succeeds, I will end up making a half dozen of them.
More to come..
I’ve been looking into solar a bit lately. Prices are starting to go down a bit and the new technology from Tesla looks pretty amazing. However, in my spirit of DIY, I’ve been looking at how to do parts of it myself. I’ve also seen some interesting articles about whole home DIY UPS systems. Of course now anyone with some cash can go out and just buy a Tesla Powerwall, but wheres the fun in that. (more…)
Whelp after a few wasted hours reinstalling Apache and PHP twice, checking and rechecking configs, I finally got Mod_rewrite working. Turns out the apache2.conf file didn’t have the correct path for where my web files were actually staged. The virtual host entry was in pointed to the correct spot so everything was being hosted and appeared to be working, but as a result of the apache2.conf issue, the .htaccess file wasn’t being utilized and thus mod_rewrite was failing. All is right in the world now, so off to the next project.